Popularity of Paranormal in Fiction




Don’t you wish you could have a fairy godmother to grant your wishes?

I did and would’ve told her: Forget—fame and fortune!

Everyone has dreams. Since I was a young girl, I’ve wanted to see my work in print, and read by the general public. See my book on library or on a bookstore shelf. I wanted to wake every morning and get to do what I love—writing. So I decided to write a novel that I would enjoy reading. Not for Fame. Not for fortune. Nope. I wrote for readers.

I knew that the paranormal romance genre in both adult and YA novels was one of the fastest growing genres in fiction, but it may not be what you think it is. In standard publishing terminology, “paranormal romance” is a subgenre of romance. But paranormal novels don’t mainly focus on romance, and they include elements beyond the range of scientific explanation by blending together themes from the genres of traditional fantasy, science fiction, and even horror.

As a writer, using aspects of the paranormal in my storyline adds so many more exciting possibilities to my stories. I love that extra element of danger and suspense. And I’ve always had a morbid fascination with ghosts and haunted houses.

Since I love all things supernatural, and I knew the young adult fiction market was flooded with vampires, fairies, angels, and werewolves, I decided to make the heroine of my debut novel a sassy witch, who has kickbutt magical abilities. So I wrote a story that entwined all the things I loved: romance, epic family drama, mystery, and suspense. And thus, my YA paranormal romance novel, WITCHY WICKEDNESS was birthed.

Basically, the premise of the Charmed Chronicles that I created involves a teenage girl named Shiloh Trudell, who uses supernatural powers to defeat paranormals in the cursed town of Fallen Oaks. She accomplishes this with the assistance of her friends and family. During the series, Shiloh discovers that she comes from a long line of heritage witches. The first in the line, Rowena Brossard, prophesied that one day the “Thirteenth Daughter” would be produced from her lineage. A force of good, she would be gifted with magick to battle the forces of evil.

In closing, I believe that novels with paranormal aspects still hold a lot of appeal for teens and tweens (even adults too!). Urban Fantasy and paranormal romance novels continue to be a favorite among readers of fiction.

I sincerely hope you guys enjoyed this post. Now go feed your mind and read a book. Preferably one of mine. :-D






No comments

I absolutely love hearing from my readers! Thank you so much for your comments. Please consider yourself awesome!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top